The rise of cardiac arrest among the youth in the past decade has become a cause of concern across the world. Youth in their 20s, 30s and 40s succumb to cardiac arrests. A study by America Heart Journal has revealed a 13% increase in sudden cardiac arrests in youth mainly in their 30s and 40s. A sedentary lifestyle and unhealthy food choices have all contributed to these increased rates of health problems in the youth.
Sudden cardiac arrest can affect anyone irrespective of their age. It can happen to anyone without any medical history of heart disease. Celebrities like Siddhart Shukla, Krishnakumar Kunnath, and Puneet Rajkumar succumbed to SCA are examples of the devastating effects of SCA.
SCA (sudden cardiac arrest) is the sudden loss of heart function, breathing, and consciousness. This is caused by an electrical disturbance in the heart causing disruption in the pumping action which in turn affects the flow of blood supply to the body. This triggers abnormal heart rhythms causing difficulty and collapsing of the individual. Time is extremely crucial in SCA cases as it causes a lack of oxygenated blood leading to brain damage and death in a few minutes.CPR, if given in the first six minutes of an SCA and can save a person’s life.
Below mentioned are some causes of SCA
- Consuming Excess Alcohol
- Family history of heart diseases.
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol levels
- Sedentary lifestyle
- High-stress levels
Warning signs to look out for
- Chest pain
- Shortness of breath
- Weakness, dizziness, and light-headedness
Measures to prevent Heart diseases
- Consuming a healthy diet is extremely important to maintain heart health. A nutrient-dense diet is crucial in maintaining a healthy heart. Avoiding food that is highly processed also contributes to having a healthy heart and body.
- Making stress levels and mental health a priority is of utmost importance in today’s times as they are the leading cause of several diseases that are caused by our fast-paced lives today.
- Exercising on a regular basis ensures a smooth flow of blood in the body and thus helps in maintaining heart health. It also ensures the prevention of various problems like obesity and high cholesterol.
Finally, to maintain optimum health, Individuals should prioritize every aspect of their life including food, fitness, and mental health. Regular checkups should be conducted to identify any underlying issues.