Social Media has taken over almost every aspect of our lives today. People post literally everything on their social media from the time they open their eyes in the morning to the time they close their eyes to sleep. Due to social media, we now know what our friends in Canada are from the comfort of the living room of our home.
Social media has helped us to connect with our long-lost friends and browse through the various spots of our favourite tourist destinations, it also helps us to stay updated about things happening around us. Because of its many benefits we often tend to ignore the deep problems that it can cause our mental and physical health.
Social media can promote unforthcoming and extremely reserved nature in individuals. People who extensively use social media are seen to be needier for validation than people than their counterparts.
Hateful and mean comments sometimes cause long-term anxiety and depression in individuals which at times takes a long time to recover from.
The unrealistic and toxic portrayal of achieving a perfect body makes people not accept and love their body’s small flaws and drastically reduces their self-esteem and self-confidence. As social media has the ability to connect people it also can disconnect us from the real world and the real people around us.
Although we cannot eliminate the effects of social media completely. Taking a small detox from social for a week or so can do wonders for our physical and mental health.
Seven Things you can do during the week while you stay away from social media
- Rekindle that long-lost hobby and find ways to incorporate it into your life even after the detox.
- Make your health a priority. Provide your body with all the nourishment and exercise it needs to function at its best.
- Pick up a book and read. You’ll realize it’s way more interesting and enriching than some of the reels and stories on Instagram and Facebook.
- Practice meditation and engage in various self-care activities. Pay attention to your mental health as it is the most affected due to social media.
- Engage in the face-to-face conversations with your loved ones by doing so you can also detach the person you are talking to from social media as well. You’ll realize how much more you have to talk to a person’s face to face as compared to chats.
- If possible try to go for a short trek or vacation. This will help you to acknowledge the beauty around you. The detox will also help you to enjoy the beauty fully as you do not feel the pressure and urge to post everything that happens in your life.
- Last but not least, take steps to love and accept yourself. It is not easy but small steps go a long way. Remember it is your perfection and imperfections together that make you the amazing you, the unique you.
How Social Media has affected the lives of many?
So what changes can you expect after this week-long detox?
There are many benefits of this experiment. Here are a few of them
- You might learn new things about yourself that you may not have noticed for a long time.
- Your body will feel way better than it used to.
- By talking and socializing with people you will also learn new things about them and how they feel about various things.
- You feel more connected to things happening around you.
- You will learn to love, accept and value yourself and everything around you, And learn to not let a person or a comment decide who you are.
So what are you waiting for ?. The outcomes are all positive, Unlike other fad trends, you will start to notice the difference from the first day itself. Let’s connect to the real world, let’s connect to each other, let’s connect with ourselves.